View Single Post

Old 01-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeslayer View Post
The only suggestion I can offer is attend a session of the "Civil Discourse Club" here in TV. It is a place to discuss many controversial subjects with a diverse group of people with one simple rule....BE CIVIL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I am amazed at the new things I learn about The Villages. I have not heard of this club and yet, it sounds like something for which I have been yearning. A yearning, that in a very small way, is satisfied by TOTV.

The Civil Discourse Club has been around for at least 10 years. It grew so much that they eventually went to two meetings for each topic. (I am not sure though if that happens every month.)

During winter, it can be really difficult to get in because of the size limitation of the meeting rooms. If you want to go, I suggest getting there early.

Upcoming Schedule:

“Self-Driving Cars and Society”
01/07 at 10:00 at Colony
Repeated on 1/14 at Savannah

“Presidential Executive Orders: Social Progress or Road to Dictatorship” on January 21 at Colony.

My email did not say anything about a repeat of the January 21 topic.

(I sure hope I do not get a complaint for sharing info on a club in TV that sometimes has political discussion — not always, not usually, just sometimes, and January 21 happens to be one.

For example, November’s topics were “The Five Love Languages” and “The Twelve Greatest Scientists.”)

The way it works is a speaker gives a relatively short, time-limited presentation on the topic. After that, people can go to a microphone, one-by-one, to make comments, also time-limited.

There really is something for everybody in TV. But with the size of the population, it is not always easy to find each other. Clubs that interest you can help — if you can get in the door.

(I still miss the old Lifelong Learning College.)

Last edited by Boomer; 01-04-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Typos