View Single Post

Old 01-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
There are actually two different (but similar-seeming) things going on. It helps to understand the difference. A ground collapse can be caused by a few different things. A sink hole is one TYPE of ground collapse. It's typically caused by nature, as in "stuff happens." Another type is caused by overdevelopment and retention ponds. So yes, the Villages is in Sink Hole alley. However, the problem is exacerbated by overdevelopment and retention ponds. If this overdevelopment and building of retention ponds didn't happen, the ground collapses would likely have been minimal.

Ground collapses caused by overdevelopment and retention ponds, occur more frequently to overdeveloped areas that have retention ponds, than ground collapses caused by the natural degradation of limestone not attributed to overdevelopment and retention ponds. In this, the "denialists" are correct in their continual claims that you're more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be affected by a sinkhole.

However, if you live in an area known for sinkholes, that has also been overdeveloped and has artificial retention ponds, you are more likely to be affected by a ground collapse (which includes potholes, by the way) than you are to be struck by lightning.
I don't think either one happens any more often around the Villages then they do in Mount Dora or Leesburg or Alahopka or Plant City, even though we live smack dab in the middle of the highest Lighting area in The country. I am pretty sure that lightning isn't caused by overdevelopment or the Morse family.

P.S. I made up Alahopka.