View Single Post

Old 01-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
About 50 women who were in the a Royal Canadian Army were picked to take a course in Ontario, based on a test of some kind they had done. About twenty of them were chosen to go to Bletchley, which is outside a London, about 30 miles or so I think. My mother was good in math and puzzles. She had also worked for the phone company as a switchboard operator before the war. The only musical ability was that she played a wicked harmonica. I could go on forever but from what I know, which isn’t as much as I would like, it was an experience of a lifetime. As a point of interest, her father was a Major who served in both world wars, was wounded twice in the first nine, had two brothers killed in the first war. She had two brothers who were both air crew in the second war. When I asked her brother a few years ago if he knew about her working at Bletchley, he told me that he did know about it and also that he himself was a commando during the second war and was shot when he was parachuting out of a plane on a mission. I was the first person he had told that and he was 90 when he told me. There are other military stories about her family but I have gone on long enough. All the best to everyone.

Thank you and thank you to your family.