View Single Post

Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Default Why I Luv Southwest Airlines

I usually fly Southwest but had to attend a funeral in a city where they don't have any non-stops. United was my best choice.

They offer a variety of options and I chose their basic economy. For this you get a seat of their choice and are permitted to put a carry on item under the seat. No overhead bin usage allowed. If you want to choose your seat and store something in the bin, that is an extra $30 each leg of the trip. If you are traveling with your family and want to sit together, that is $30 for each person. Each checked bag is $30. The flight out was completely full. We were also delayed over an hour because of equipment problems. They actually jump started the engines.

On the return trip, I paid $15 extra to choose an aisle seat and it was worth it. Only two people boarded after I did. On my way to the rear of the plane, I passed no fewer than 10 completely empty rows. That means there were at least 60 unused seats. When I neared my seat, the rows were completely filled.

On Southwest, the passengers would not have been packed together while so many seats were empty. We could all use the overhead bin and check two bags for free. Also, upon landing, I would have found an email with a Luv voucher for $100 and an apology for the delayed flight.

That's why I choose Southwest whenever possible.