View Single Post

Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen83 View Post
Thanks for asking these questions Russ. I will be arriving in TV on the 1st, will be looking for a RN position and hope to start back to work in January.

I just returned to nursing 4 years ago after raising my family and although the conditions have certainly changed for the worse and in spite of critical attitudes I have experienced in patients who think they are staying at the Hilton, I love nursing! IMHO, the good outweighs the bad. (on most days)

I am concerned about the RN/patient ratios. I interviewed during a visit in January and was told it was 5-6 on a med-surg floor, which leads me to believe it will actually be higher than that, and to me that is unacceptable and no wonder we are hearing much criticism about the hospital.

The trend in hospitals these days puts more emphasis on plasma TV's than having a nurse available to answer a patient's call for help! Because of that I am hoping to find something else and the ability to do that is one of the great things about nursing. I would love to be able to drive my golf cart to work, but will drive further away if a better position is available. I plan on working 2 days a week and don't mind driving at all!

I too, would love to hear more from RN's already there.....good and bad!

Thanks Russ and by the way, getting your license transferred to Florida is a bit involved and I hired a company to get me through the process...$125.00 well spent IMO.

Karen

My wife has been a practicing RDH, Registered Dental Hygienist, in California for over 30 years and is licensed for just about all expanded RDH duties including xray, injections, lazer usage, etc.

She wants to practice in Fla when we snowbird in the winter but the Fla Dental Board requires transfers retake the National Board exam which she took 30 years ago to get her license. She said it would require going back and taking the college hygienist training all over again, NOT!

In comparison, paying $125 for an RN license transfer seems like a very small price.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 09-23-2008 at 11:53 PM.