View Single Post

Old 01-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Sage

My grandfathered internet-only service with CenturyLink (via fiber to the house) had a series of discounts (with expiration dates) that brought the price down to about $35 per month for 40 megabits per second download/20 megabits per second upload. One of the discounts was about to expire so I called to see if they would extend it so I could keep the grandfathered plan. They were less than accommodating so I asked them to switch me to their "one price for life" plan. After 6 different phone conversations, and some less than truthful promises regarding the new price, we finally agreed that they would honor the on-line only price advertised on their webpage. So, I now have 80 megabits per second download/40 megabits per second upload for $45 per month (plus taxes and fees) as long as I don't make any changes. I didn't need the increased bandwidth but it was available for the lowest cost "one-price for life" plan and when my current discounts roll off the price would have been higher than $45 per month. While they can be a bit painful to deal with depending on who you talk to, the service has been reliable and the performance consistent for the nearly 5 years I have been using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've had internet and phone with CL since July 2011. I have fiber optic, no modem, plug my router or computer directly into the wall jack. I've only had one outage in all that time, 7-1/2 years, it was from a lightning strike. The repairman came within two hours, said the backup battery in the garage took the strike, so he removed it. He said have been removing all the backup batteries because they're more than trouble than they are worth. So overall I have no complaint about the service. However, the rest of company is a different story.

I did go to that office in the beginning to set up service. They issued me a phone number, which then I distributed to everyone I knew, but when the installation man showed up, he gave me a different number.

Initially the store said the install and first bill would be about $100 total. The bill came and was $200, so I called them. Someone in Orlando switched me to the "Save Desk" in North Carolina. I had 3 mpbs service, so he said, how about I give you 10 mpbs for the same price and drop your bill to $100 for the first month. My regular monthly bill was $59.99 plus tax, and that had not changed in 7 years until about 6 months ago it went up $5. I said fine on the upgrade and bill, so on that Monday my service was out for the entire day, I called and they said it's being upgraded. After that day, it came back at the newer speed. So I knew never ask for a change if I didn't want my service out for the whole day.

So all this made me realize, that whatever the store by Target tells you, take it with a grain of salt and it's no great loss that they closed.

Last edited by biker1; 01-10-2019 at 11:00 AM.