View Single Post

Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
update I went out and checked wiring it was correct per what I could find on the internet, Red wire to lamp black wire to post reversed the red to post and black to lamp and seems to working somewhat ok. Light turns on and off when anything hits the post.

I have one blub and it is an outdoor LED that I got from Blubs Plus.

Not sure if I should change the wiring back
Pinhead, there should have been a set of wiring instructions with the new sensor, from your description I think your initial wiring was wrong, and the sensor is now toast. The sensor cannot easily be tested without having power on it, I would not bother and just get another sensor and carefully install.
Once installed, take BLACK tape (opaque) and place over the sensor, turn on the power, after a short delay (~60 seconds) the light should come on, take off the tape, it should go out.
If nothing happens, check the GFI in the garage, on of them is probably tripped, reset, and test sensor with tape again.
If the GFI trips again, then I would suspect a short in the wiring. My neighbor actually found wiring with JUST wire-nuts and NO waterproofing on his lamp post. If the problem occurred after a heavy rain I would really look at the wiring in the ground. If the GFI trips due to movement of the lamp post, then you probably have a short to the post and the wiring where the wiring comes into the post below grade.
VERY IMPORTANT: If the above information makes you uncomfortable or you have concerns about doing any of this work, call an electrician.