View Single Post

Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
the groups ARE run by Villagers. And the overcrowding on popular classes is real.

Please forgive me if I'm mixing or not mixing concepts correctly.

"Groups" or "clubs" are run by Villagers with approval of the district government rec department. See list here.

At the rec centers (and other facilities like pools) there are "activities" - things people show up to do - which are led by volunteers. The schedule for which is published weekly. See example here. On that sample page, at the La Hacienda RRC on Thursday at 10:30am is Yoga. This is something any Villager can just show up & take part in.

"Clubs" can also reserve a room and have a meeting or activity. (e.g. the Pennsylvania Club at 7pm on Tues) This would be an event for club members, and other Villagers may or may not be able to attend depending on the club's policy.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm talking about "activities" - things people show up at a place for. (The activity may be hosted by a club/group or it may just be a volunteer leading a class (e.g. Yoga)). It seems that there is a problem with people showing up for public activities and not being able to participate because the venue is full. The current solution is that people show up earlier & earlier to get in a queue; there's no way to know beforehand how many people will show up/try to get in.

Madelaine, noted that some clubs have implemented reservation systems for THEIR meetings/activities. Which I suppose is fine if the Club has reserved the room and has the authority to limit who can attend. And I guess any leader of any activity could implement such a sign up policy? (So a first-timer could show up for "Yoga" and be told they need to register?) Such an ad hoc approach is fine if the problem is limited, but turns into a nightmare if it's widespread. (e.g. For "Yoga" I use signup.com. For Tai Chi I add my name on a Google Doc. For Zumba I text msg the instructor. For "Water Volleyball" put my towel on a chair the night before. ...) And such an ad hoc approach doesn't give the district gov any visibility into how facilities are being used & what things are popular (which you may or may not like depending on how anti-authority you are, but I don't think many anti-authority people stay in TV).

It would be nice if the rec center staff would be proactive and notice that certain activities are full to overflowing and suggest to the leader a sign-up tool. IMHO, it'd be even better if TV had a standard one at the ready, and maybe have a priority system like golf.