View Single Post

Old 01-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Along those lines, and in contradiction to my overall philosophy of 'buy and hold,' Friday's little rally has convinced me that it's now time...to become more conservative in my funds.

And while in 6 months, if this already record bull run continues and I may have left money on the table, I am more than satisfied with my annual returns over the last 10 years...and will have no regrets.

There are just too many "big, with so many moving parts...," (of which are too political to go into detail here)...that makes me think it's time to sit on the sidelines for a while.

Since it will be my children who will be the beneficiaries of my financial decisions, I think they will understand my philosophy that...'pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.'

I also believe that the markets will also get back to a position where it makes sense to be more aggressive, it's just my (non-professional financial opinion)...now is not that time.
It is not easy to make market comments in posts on TOTV while pretending not to see the big elephant in the room but I will try.

I still do not like how I “feel” about where things could be headed.

Sometimes there can be a comfort zone built in to good solid dividend-paying stocks, paying their investors to wait through ups and downs. This is where the “buy and hold” philosophy sometimes can work out particularly well. With the right choices the dividends keep on, even if the stock price chart looks like a rollercoaster.

I think 2019 could bring some buying opportunities.

The Investment Education Club in TV now has a “Dividend Discussion Group” that is separate from their usual meetings — which have all different kinds of topics. My email said this year the dividend discussions will be at Colony each month, second Wednesday, 11:00. (I think I am remembering the email right, but anybody interested should verify.)

I am no expert nor do I claim to be. But I think investors need to be paying especially close attention to all the moving parts that underpin the market. Consumer confidence? Healthcare costs? Housing? CD rates? etc.?

Last edited by Boomer; 01-19-2019 at 10:40 AM.