View Single Post

Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Having a water softener is 100% personal preference. there are THOUSANDS of homes in The Villages that do not have water softeners or water filters. It is important to note that a water SOFTENER and a water FILTER are two different things.....although some companies will sell and/or combine both.

I personally like whole house water filter. I recommend the NOVA filter system, as it does a good job at a good common sense price.

So, a few facts;

1) Prices for water systems vary...a lot. Some companies are known for being very "hard sell" with high mark-ups. There is sometimes no correlation between what you are charged and the quality of what you are buying.

2) Some people LOVE softened water....especially if they had a softener for years in their "old house". I personally do not like the feel of softened water....I think it feels somewhat "slimy". Just my personal opinion. In a 12 year old home I recently bought, there was a working water softener. I ripped it out and tossed it and installed a NOVA filter instead.

3) Water in Fenney, etc, is a BIT harder than the northern part of The Villages.....I do not find it objectionable.

4) If you do not like Chlorine taste, etc, you want a Filter.....a softener only softens.

5) To the post that focused on the 25 year old house with copper water lines.....yes, older Florida homes were built with copper pipes embedded in concrete. Builders have learned that it was not a good idea, just like cast iron waste pipes in concrete or below is also bad. Once copper starts leaking it will continue to develop more leaks. You are better off re-plumbing the entire home. Having a water softener will SLOW the amount of failure, but not eliminate it. You will still need to re-plumb.

6) All homes built in at least the last ten years or so in The Villages have CPVC water lines.....not copper.

Hope this helps.

Frank D.

Dangelo Inspections,

Thank you for your comprehensive, well organized, on-point responses.