Thread: Victoria
View Single Post

Old 01-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I had recorded the show that followed Victoria. It was about the wedding. I got around to watching it last night.

This separate show includes kind of a crash course in the history surrounding Victoria at the time of the wedding.

I learned that the monarchy was teetering before she was crowned. Her wedding to Albert was extremely important for PR purposes.

She changed history. British history. She also changed wedding history. She wore white. That was a first. And here we still are with white being the traditional color for brides to wear.

The show recreated the whole wedding, from planning to ceremony. I must say that the food for the wedding was mostly something I would have to politely push around on my plate had I been there. If you watch it, you will see what I mean.

They said Victoria ate really fast and protocol was that when the Queen finished a course, the guests stopped eating, too.

Albert was broke, though royal. Victoria was the richest woman in the world. I guess there were sideways glances among the guests when he took the vow to pledge all his earthly treasures. (or however that part was worded)

Everybody was waiting to see if Victoria promised to “obey” Albert. She did. But I knew she meant “sort of.”