View Single Post

Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Default Thanks

Thank you...very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
I was in Paris The week after Thanksgiving. I used the hop on hop off bus. It is hard to get on and off. Sometimes it’s crowded and it’s hard to find a seat as well. I really wouldn’t recommend it if you have a hard time getting around. We did stay at a hotel that was within a 10 minute walk of the Louvre, the Musées Dorsay and other major locations. I’d recommend getting a hotel that is very close to the major attractions that you want to visit and then simply use Uber. I used it several times. it was very easy. I got door-to-door service for short distances from the hotel and they ran $5 to $13. I think that’s the best way to get around given your situation and if you have a limited mobility. Also, I’m 57 and even I never visit more than 2 sites a day. Have dinner at the Eiffel Tower and pay extra for a window seat. Romantic and your wife will love it. If you Uber, you can choose when you want to walk through places like the Garden if the Tuileries and not be tired. You’ll be able to enjoy your trip. I’ve been to Paris about 6 times. It is my favorite city in the world. Versailles has gotten really run down and the queens compartments are under renovation and have been for a few years and dates haven’t been given for completion. The gardens are really the only reason for the trip. There is little to no accommodation for the handicapped and I saw maybe one elevator. So many stairs there. If you’re dying to visit it, make a call. They have people who speak English. One thing you should spend time on is picking restaurants. Best food in the world. Take this chance to really enjoy the cuisine. That doesn’t necessarily mean super expensive. I remember my first trip to Paris I used a Frommers guide and went to some inexpensive places and the food was awesome. I took a tour this time to the Champagne region but there was some walking and standing. I think you could do it just don’t be too proud to tell them you need the elevator when they take you underground to visit the cellars. One more point. If you’re going all the way to Paris, consider 5 days there, then take the train to london. Can be there in 3 hours. If you are religious or catholic, the Vatican is amazing. So Rome could be a second alternative but it has far less to offer than london. Good luck to you.

I forgot to mention. I booked my hotel and airfare for two through Tripmasters Europe. Cost of about $2000 including a hotel that normally runs $400 a night. Breakfast included everyday. Yes. I only paid $1000 and my girlfriend ( girls trip) paid $1,000 for an entire week. It was also her dream trip and she was recently widowed. Look up Tripmasters Europe. They always have deals.