View Single Post

Old 01-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Looks like T (the stock that started this thread a little over a month ago) has had a nice increase since and appears to have been testing its bottom at a little over 30 for the past week. But T is for dividends so as long as the share price does not run off a cliff -- like some cartoon character that was not paying attention -- I think the dividends will hang in there for now, and maybe a lot longer.

Warning: Please disregard anything I say about investing. I am not qualified professionally to give financial advice. Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about. But I could teach you how to bastardize punctuation and write sentence fragments that work just fine. -- But all you have to do for that is know that you are doing it on purpose.

Anyway, about buying on pullbacks:

When I think I might see some (ahem) shall we say -- buying opportunities coming, I sometimes start a shopping list.

I am so unsophisticated that I start my list by going to that other list known as The Dividend Aristocrats because those companies give me something to think about.

Lately, I found LEG, Leggett & Platt, with its 47 years of increasing its dividend, and sitting a little lower than the middle of its 52-week range, with a payout ratio around 60 (though I sometimes like them a little lower, depends on what else they are doing) and a beta below one. I find myself recently intrigued with LEG.

LEG's dividend is slightly below 4 so it is not the thrill of T. But not bad, and maybe the share price could go up.

My site for trading rates it neutral. Sometimes I like a little Neutral. Of course, I like a little Bullish better. And I have been known to ignore Bearish.

All those ratings are mostly from computers flashing algorithms.

Besides, I like Warren Buffett, who said, "Beware of geeks bearing formulas." (Please spare me a lecture about my guy Warren who seems to trigger a little rage around here. I gotta luv a guy who talks about percentages when others see only raw numbers. Also, I luv that he is so secure in who he is that he still lives in the house he bought decades ago. I have heard he has a weakness for private jet travel. Well, yeah, who wouldn't.) But, I digress, once more.

Back to what I am here to ask about:

I am asking because I like a little anecdotal information about companies that interest me.

I had never heard of Leggett & Platt until a few days ago.

I need to find out if LEG is boring enough for me.

I like behemoths that consistently belch out dividends, while paying attention to innovation and cap ex, but do not gorge themselves on the moment -- like when Welch could not stick to what had worked and shoved GE way into finance, when it was hot, way too hot. "You don't have to build a factory," said Welch, allegedly.

The thing is, I had never heard of LEG. But I am watching. Does anybody have any anecdotal information, or gut instinct, about LEG, that they would not mind sharing?

Last edited by Boomer; 01-26-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: clarification of noun reference