View Single Post

Old 01-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Default Re: Buffet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Looks like T (the stock that started this thread a little over a month ago) has had a nice increase since and appears to have been testing its bottom at a little over 30 for the past week. But T is for dividends so as long as the share price does not run off a cliff -- like some cartoon character that was not paying attention -- I think the dividends will hang in there for now, and maybe a lot longer.

Warning: Please disregard anything I say about investing. I am not qualified professionally to give financial advice. Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about. But I could teach you how to bastardize punctuation and write sentence fragments that work just fine. -- But all you have to do for that is know that you are doing it on purpose.

Anyway, about buying on pullbacks:

When I think I might see some (ahem) shall we say -- buying opportunities coming, I sometimes start a shopping list.

I am so unsophisticated that I start my list by going to that other list known as The Dividend Aristocrats because those companies give me something to think about.

Lately, I found LEG, Leggett & Platt, with its 47 years of increasing its dividend, and sitting a little lower than the middle of its 52-week range, with a payout ratio around 60 (though I sometimes like them a little lower, depends on what else they are doing) and a beta below one. I find myself recently intrigued with LEG.

LEG's dividend is slightly below 4 so it is not the thrill of T. But not bad, and maybe the share price could go up.

My site for trading rates it neutral. Sometimes I like a little Neutral. Of course, I like a little Bullish better. And I have been known to ignore Bearish.

All those ratings are mostly from computers flashing algorithms.

Besides, I like Warren Buffett, who said, "Beware of geeks bearing formulas." (Please spare me a lecture about my guy Warren who seems to trigger a little rage around here. I gotta luv a guy who talks about percentages when others see only raw numbers. Also, I luv that he is so secure in who he is that he still lives in the house he bought decades ago. I have heard he has a weakness for private jet travel. Well, yeah, who wouldn't.) But, I digress, once more.

Back to what I am here to ask about:

I am asking because I like a little anecdotal information about companies that interest me.

I had never heard of Leggett & Platt until a few days ago.

I need to find out if LEG is boring enough for me.

I like behemoths that consistently belch out dividends, while paying attention to innovation and cap ex, but do not gorge themselves on the moment -- like when Welch could not stick to what had worked and shoved GE way into finance, when it was hot, way too hot. "You don't have to build a factory," said Welch, allegedly.

The thing is, I had never heard of LEG. But I am watching. Does anybody have any anecdotal information, or gut instinct, about LEG, that they would not mind sharing?
I proudly point out the REALITY of Buffet.
The guy is 86 years old and yet we hear him speak about long term stock holdings.

Buffet like is an acceptance of a false impression. You and I do not even trade in the same market as Buffet does. We are not even in the same game-at least I am not. When I buy or sell shares, no one is following what I do and the quantity that I buy or sell does not move the market. Also, Buffet looses 45 million and says it was a bad day. If, I lost 45 million there would be a lot of people wondering how they were so stupid as to lend me that much money.

Buffet like? Perhaps, the smart thing to do is to buy Bershire Hathaway and let Buffet and his staff buy and sell for you.

I regularly wonder how many of us regularly beat SPY-S&P 500 index? I DO NOT. The report from Fidelity keeps me honest.
My simple view-I AM NOT EVEN BATTING AVERAGE.