View Single Post

Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Does anybody want to talk about utilities-z-z-z-z-z?

Consolidated Edison (ED) is the only utility on the list of Dividend Aristocrats. ED has paid a dividend for more than a hundred years and has increased its dividend for at least 40 years in a row.

Dominion (D) took an interesting dip several months ago. It went up again for a while. But lately seems to be taking a bit of a hit. D’s dividend does not have the long history of ED.

I think both of these utilities go ex in February. ED’s dividend is just below 4 and D is just below 5. Both are off their 52 -week high. Both have a low Beta.

Yes. Buying utilities is about finding relatively decent, stable dividends, but it is nice to catch any stock when they are down a little. Even if you are mostly a buy and holder, you still like to see a little green in that gain column.

Anyway, let’s say, theoretically, I am asking the interested among you to join me on a little shopping trip. Not a shopping spree. I just want to go window-shopping. Just in theory — which one might have the best window right now? Would it be D or ED or both or neither?
Just a quick drive by between phone calls.. I probably wouldn't be plunking down any money in PG&E for awhile but I've been in Dominion for years.

ETA.. lol. I see PG&E has already been addressed..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!