View Single Post

Old 02-02-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Is this an actual lawn ornament, or a garden gnome statuette? Do the deed restrictions define "lawn ornament?" If so, what is that definition? Does the offending object fit that description?

I see photos on the Villages homefinder page, that very proudly display all kinds of things "under the eves" of the front of the dwelling. Most of them are crosses, in full view of the sidewalk out front, and not even in an actual garden. They're not, however, "on the lawn." So does that make them "not lawn ornaments?" These are not the old properties where restrictions are less restrictive, either.

Buttonwood, Pinellas, south of 466. Some are patio villas, some courtyard villas, and some ranch and designer homes. So it's not even "oh well "those" types of homes are exempt."

So as I see it, it really depends on the object and whether or not it's actually on a lawn. If it's on a lawn, it's absolutely positively a lawn ornament, by definition.

But if it's not on a lawn - and if it's a garden critter, or a religious symbol (like a cross) or even a 2-foot planter shaped like a golf cart and growing morning glory vines up a miniature wrought-iron trellis - then it's not a lawn ornament.
Kinda. But not exactly. It all makes good sense to those who bought here and signed the deed restrictions. We have had them before for decades. I prefer deed restricted PLANNED communities. I do so like them Sam I am.