View Single Post

Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Location: Pennsylvania, new home in the Village of Osceola Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
What I don't understand is what would stop ever driver without an inspection from simply telling the law enforcement officer that they just returned from out of state? Does the driver of the un inspected vehicle need some form of proof that they just returned from an extended time in another state?
The answer is found in the law as reported on the DMV.PA.GOV website. After returning to the Commonwealth (PA), the out-of-inspection vehicle owner has ten days to get the car inspected. How to "prove" you just returned is a tricker issue (whatever the actual circumstances or the actual arrival time may be) I would think it would be very wise to get your inspection set-up with a documented appointment with your local garage/service center PRIOR to reentering the Commonwealth. If you were stopped by law-enforcement at the border or shortly thereafter you could give law-enforcement the information on your service appointment. If you reentered the Commonwealth without an appointment, you ought to be prepared to get your appointment and inspection within 10 days (not actually an easy fix, especially if you had some issues that might require extra time to fix/repair). At end, I think the law is written to allow you to keep your PA car out-of-state. HOWEVER (fair-warning), you put yourself at risk if you do not take due-diligence to PROVE your good intentions by setting up your appointment prior to returning... and completing that inspection process as quickly as possible. I would suppose that law-enforcement is on the look-out for fraud and they may ticket-first-ask-questions-later where YOU will have to prove your case in court. So, do the right thing is the wise move.