View Single Post

Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
In today’s online news is an article concerning an arrest made of a man who was caught on camera on two recent dates stealing from the locker room and a table on the pool deck. This is not the first time such thefts have occurred and not only from the Colony Cottage Pool. It may be the first time the thief was caught.

Nobody should leave anything of value in a pool locker room. The only alternative is to bring keys and ID, presumably in some sort of bag, and leave it on the deck while swimming, playing volleyball, water aerobics, etc. There is no way to even lock up your keys. Anyone can walk around the pool deck, help themselves, and get away quickly while people are enjoying the pool.

I’ve called John Rohan’s office asking that lockers of some kind, even just for keys, be installed at sports pools. The number is 352-674-1800.

If you use sports pools, please join me. Make the call.In one of the cases mentioned, the thief stole keys and opened the car where the person’s wallet was and took cash. He could have stolen the car!
If you send an e-mail to John Rohan it will be returned. I contacted him about a year and a half ago about getting swim flags for backstrokers in all the sports pools. It took almost a year, but he followed through and it happened. He is a very nice and reasonable guy. Some kind of safe in the changing areas (they are not locker rooms since they don't have any lockers, just hooks to hang clothes from) would be great for small valuables such as keys, wallets, ID's, cell phones, etc... would be great. Leaving valuables in ones car as mentioned by others would not be an option for the many swimmers that travel via golf cart. Also, as a lap swimmer, I don't want to swim 100+ laps with a key attached to my body. All I swim with is a bathing suit and a pair of polarized swim goggles.