View Single Post

Old 02-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Default Report re: Gypsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I've read it will improve soil structure in clay soil; which is what we have. I've read unlike lime it will not change the PH, our soil is mostly around ph of 7 or even higher-alkaline.

Looking for instructions perhaps experience.

Internet instructions say seem to be all over the place. I've read you can spread it on top as you would granular fertilizers. I've read 50 lbs per 1000 sq ft of lawn. I've also read 50 lbs per 2,500 sq ft of lawn. Both say apply twice a year.

HUH,
As in my original post. I had read about using gypsum to improve the structure of clay soils. Instructions are all over the place as to how much, how often etc. IT DOES NOT AS SOMEONE STATED CHANGE THE SOIL PH as it is Calcium SULFATE.

So I applied 80 lbs to my 5,000 sq foot lawn in November and now in Feb just had a soil test done. Not at all scientific as I did not test before and after application. I do have a bucket of soil pre the application of the gypsum in a bucket removed when I planted ?????? I've also injected about 4,000 pounds of manure into my 5,000 sq foot lawn so as stated what caused what I do not really know. The manure was done about 2-3 years ago.

Now my soil in texture is much like potting soil. Surely, the application of the gypsum has improved drainage and my soil when I removed the samples for test, while perhaps too wet to dig in did not form the clods we had before due to our clay.

I then had a full soil test done by the cooperative extension.
According to their form the suggest a PH of 6.5 for our Zoyzia.
I have 7.1. The advisor a cooperative extension, told me, and I thought I knew it anyway that applying sulfur is not suggested as any result is very temporary. My calcium soil level is high.
The person I spoke to told me that could be normal. I suspect the gypsum increased that.

MY VIEW-You can wish you had better soil. In the real world you have what you have. Like a house on a poor foundation, the first thing to do is to improve your soil. My goal is to have a reasonable lawn with the least amount of work expense and negative environmental impact.

Trying to avoid the my lawn is greener than your lawn-INSANITY