View Single Post

Old 02-09-2019, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Here's hoping you will be happy among us trailer park neighbors.
If all goes well I'll be living in a double-wide-plus! I think of all the possible places we could have picked to live in the Villages, this area will be the most comfortable for me. It's very "neighborhoodish" and the times we've visited the area in the past, it looked like people maintained their properties fairly well. A bit of wear and tear but that's to be expected. It's actually a plus, to me, to see patches of ground that have gone to moss due to moisture and trees. It's more park-like, more natural, less manufactured and artificial.

My house now was built in 1958. So when I see people refer to the "historical" side of The Villages and see these double-wides and single-wides transported in and set down in the late 1970's I have to just chuckle. The house across the street from mine is the second oldest in the neighborhood. It was built in 1895. The oldest was built in the late 1700's, and the carriage that transported Paul Revere's body to be buried in 1818, stopped at the house - which was at the time a hotel and tavern, on their way.

That's not even the oldest house in our town. Just in our neighborhood. And - our entire back yard and the acreage behind it - was a trailer park, prior to a developer building senior housing in it.

So we're sort of coming full circle. It's poetic and I like the idea of it.