Thread: A tax question
View Single Post

Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Default I too am another ex-new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I will be filing in NY, fed and state. I'm guessing since I had no Florida income as a resident I don't have to do anything here.
Steve
Recent news story Cuomo stated that his tax revenue is down because so many people have left NY. Cuomo specifically mentioned they went to low tax states such as Florida.

Some SCREAM tax the rich. I was never rich. On my best years, on my last dollars, I paid 56% fed, 13% to social security (self employed). 6% to NY State, ?? 3% NY City Commuter tax, 10,000 real estate tax on a 1200 sq foot home on a 50x100 lot. Oh my auto insurance is roughly half what it was in NY. Hear in the Villages both our home and our property are almost twice what we had in NY. Our cost of living is FAR LOWER. Truth NY does have better Pizza and bagels. Florida water? Another debate.

Re: your taxes. My view, we hire a pro. Yes, you can use inexpensive programs and more and more people do. Is it worth it? It is like most things freedom of choice. If, there is an IRS inquiry, audit, who do you think is better able to handle it John Smith citizen f the villages or John Smith CPA?