View Single Post

Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage

I have an autoimmune disease that my rheumatologist had me take daily 5mg. of prednisone but if I had a flare to take 10mg per day. I did that and this past year had an attack of diverticulitis, a skin infection and the "creme de la creme" a rapid weight gain of about 30 to 35 lbs. I saw my pcp and later a new fheumatologist. I was told that prednisone can be a conduit to infections as well as cause weight gain. I also had a couple of other unwanted side-effects with it too. Anyway, I stopped that protocol and within a few weeks the infection subsided and I began to lose the lbs again ( but was also doing low-carb eating). My new rheumatologist said the goal that I should be with now is never to go on steroids again. Not sure how my original issue will be addressed but we'll take it one thing at a time. On another thread someone talked about being sensitive to drugs and I'm one of those as well. I had to stop statin drugs (because of that) plus a handful of others as well. Drugs can be a miracle for "some" people but not necessarily for all.