Thread: Medical ethics
View Single Post

Old 02-11-2019, 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=John_W;1623780]I just posted this on another thread, so I'll repost here since I'm allergic to statins and I had to find out the hard way.

In 2012 I had an attack of psoriatic arthritis and my legs swelled so much, I couldn't tell where my knees were, I gained 15 pounds overnight. I went to the VA ER at Gainesville and they gave me an IV of prednisone and then 144 prednisone pills to take over the next 30 days. I recovered in two weeks but when the pills ran out, my condition returned, but in a different way. I had psoriasis so bad I looked like a snowman flaking all over the place. I went back to the ER and they admitted to the hospital for 3 days and gave me a lot of predisone again. As it turned out, the VA never found what caused my reaction, I discovered it on my own while experimenting with my prescription drugs. I was allergic to statins, because I took avorstatin for cholesterol.

I have both a VA doctor and a Villages doctor with medicare. Jump ahead a year and my Villages doctor retired and I'm given a new doctor. He prescribed a drug and I made a big mistake, I trusted him and didn't read what it was, it was Crestor. I got red blotches all over, I called him and he said, it's just a small 5 mg dose, I said, I'm allergic to statins. He apparently had never encountered that before.

Anyway, I've been without taking statins now for a couple of years and my HDL is right about 210, which worries him. Six months ago he told me he has patients that are dropping 40 points using this natural drug, Cholestoff Plus. I started taking two a day about five months ago and I'll have a blood test in March and I'll find out if it's working.

It's $15 for 105 pills at Walmart and $30 at Walgreens. The way it's suppose to work is it stops the body from making cholesterol. My VA doctor once had told me to try the nutrient Red Yeast Rice, and when I did I broke out in blotches. After I researched it, I found that Red Yeast Rice is is a blend of 5 statins, so don't take that either.

If this reduces cholesterol without the side effects of statins, then I'm headed to WalMart as we speak. Thank you for the "heads up".