View Single Post

Old 02-16-2019, 03:43 AM
Default Textured walls/ceilings - less costs more!

We are thinking about building versus adopting a pre-loved home.

While discussing various options with the helpful folks “living” on the street of dreams (design center) it emerged that if I wanted smooth walls/ceilings it would cost $5,000 for that option!

I grew up during the Kodak era with nothing but smooth walls/ceilings (usually wallpapered but that’s another topic). When the option for textured prints became available I recall this one retailer who put it this way. “Just get the (I forget what the standard finish was called so...) “sharp” finish and if u decide you rather have textured prints then place then face down on the pavement and step on them.”

Well....that summed up his professional opinion regarding the new textured photo processing option....and I’m using that analogy to declare my preference for finished drywall!

The design center stated that all surfaces are default textured because it’s easier to repair dings that occur before the house is turned over to the buyer. ???

I did a bit of post discussion research. Drywall only comes smooth - one must texture the surface after it’s been installed. It appears the process involves applying a loose mud mix with a hopper gun then applying a coat of paint. Soooo....it’s more labor more steps to do textured.

Yet - to get just painted walls/ceilings it will cost more - $5,000. Seems crazy to me.

I’m thinking that maybe with textured walls they don’t tape the joints/screw holes and that’s the time savings that trumps just painting.

Does anyone know what the real deal is behind paying more for less?

My wife doesn’t care one way or the other...but doesn’t want to spend the 5k. To me...smooth walls look much sharper than textured. Plus textured - in my opinion - resides with the popcorn finish and I deplore that look.

I don’t want to spend the extra money either.....however.....I’m afraid that I will end up seeing a sidewalk everywhere in my house - except on the floor!

Thoughts comments?