View Single Post

Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

It's impossible not to do some maintenance during playing hours, but main gripe here is when someone like the person running the Sand-Pro (raking bunkers) is going in order of the holes, thereby often staying/interfering with one group...for a number of holes in a row.

Right after high school graduation I worked on a private golf course, which was actually a dozen years before I even started playing.

The one thing our big, quick-tempered Irishman superintendent hammered into us was to be as unobtrusive as possible...to the members playing.

His face would become purple if he found you running your machine anywhere near someone making a shot...or especially while they were putting.

His other mandate was if you weren't running the green and/or tee mowers and were doing other work (bunkers/weed whacking/cutting grass around bunkers/sprinkler checking/etc,), was to ALWAYS work from 18 backward...so you only bothered a particular group once.

I too blame the supervision, or more accurately the lack thereof...for a lot of the problems in the maintenance crews here.