Thread: piano bar?
View Single Post

Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
When I first discovered TV, I thought surely there had to be a piano bar here. But now, (sigh) I doubt there ever will be.

If I am in a piano bar or a restaurant with a pianist playing in the background, I can keep the tip jar full because I never seem to run out of requests. I usually start with “Satin Doll” and on to “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered” and so it goes. (I do remember my manners and give others a chance — but never a lull.)

I guess I am a little bit out of my era and not supposed to know all those songs, but for some reason I do.

Anyway, the reason I am in this thread — other than to wax nostalgic — is to talk about Beegie Adair:

I had never heard of Beegie Adair until fairly recently when I was up north in a favorite restaurant.

We know, all too well, that it is a rare restaurant that can get the background music just right. But this one does. Alas, not a piano bar. Not live music. No tip jar. No singing. But the next best thing. A perfect loop of piano, playing in the background.

I knew all the songs but I did not know the artist.

So I got out my phone and pushed Shazam and that was how I discovered Beegie Adair. And now I own a whole bunch of her music. Listening to it right now, in fact.

If you like a beautiful romantic piano, and you had never heard of Beegie Adair, now you have.

You’re welcome.
She is fabulous:

The Way You Look Tonight - YouTube

The kind of music I used to dance and listen to at The Rainbow Room in NYC, a million years ago. Brings back so many wonderful memories.