View Single Post

Old 02-19-2019, 09:56 AM

I don't agree that it is normal. However, it's not unusual. It's typically a good faith request that you can either agree to, or not. But really should be handled up front in the purchase contract with the terms well defined. A similar, quite common, example is when a seller needs time to relocate after the sale, they may add conditions and terms to a contract where they actually rent back the home from the buyer for a set amount of time after the property has legally changed hands. When I sold my home before moving down here, I had the opposite situation. The buyer wanted to start moving items into my detached garage/barn prior to closing if/when the space became available as we packed our stuff up. I agreed to that in good faith and did not force those terms to be put into the contract. Bottom line, unless stipulated otherwise in a mutually agreed upon contract, the property is yours after closing and it is up to you whether or not you allow the seller access after that point. Sounds like the realtor was making a request to that effect on the seller's behalf, but it's up to you whether or not to allow it. Even if it is common, it's still your call.