View Single Post

Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwdgd View Post
The MLS realator I am working with said the sellers want to have access to the house for the remainder of the day after a morning closing. This did not sound right to me. The MLS agent said this common and/or normal for transactions down here. Is this true?
It's not really a question of what is "normal" it's what you want to agree on. If you let the seller stay after closing, even with a rental agreement, they may stay longer than the agreement says and it may take you a long time to get them out.

If the seller vacates before closing and you back out that could leave the seller on the hook for payments on two houses or at least leave them in a very inconvenient circumstances.

When we sold out house in MA the standard purchase agreement said that the house would be broom swept for the final inspection before closing.

I certainly have had friends who sold their house and closed with an agreement that let them stay in the house for a few weeks, so letting the seller stay in the house is not that unusual.

But in any case whether the seller stays in the house after closing is something that should be in the agreement you and the seller sign. And if it says that the seller can stay in the house after the closing it is something you should be sure is iron clad that the seller will be out... you probably need a lawyer to do that.

We had a relative that let a niece stay in their house while the relative was away for the winter. A friend of the niece that had drug issues (and the relative knew) called the relative to see if there was a hidden key she could use to get into the house and stay for "just one night". The relative told her where the key was.

Anyhow she stayed for over a month and even the Police could not remove her because the relative had told the friend where the key was and that gave her permission to say.

So I, as a buyer, would want the seller out before closing... you just have no idea what might be going on in the sellers life.