View Single Post

Old 02-22-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
If you are in the newer section of the villages, it takes a while for the maps to be updated. I use a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps, and i updated it 2 weeks ago, and it still does not have the village of Desota. In past I even sent them a copy of the villages paper map, I think this helped, but they appearently cannot keep up with how fast this area is growing. Sumter county has a great GIS system, and if you are careful, you can copy the maps into Word and printout, i have had to resort to this method a few times for the newest areas.
I don't use a GPS. I don't own one, not interested in buying one. I have Waze on my cell phone and don't ever use that, either. I'm not looking for a street map. I'm looking for directions to get from point A to point B. Such as:

Turn right out of your driveway to the end of Smith Street. Take a left. Continue for 3 miles til you see the sign of the potato sitting on a washing machine in front of Jake's Suds and Spuds. Take your next right, and a sharp left onto Jones Parkway. Go to Exit 6-WEST, and follow for 16 miles. The driveway to Sue's Wedding Chapel will be on your left.

That's what I'm looking to create. And since the Villages has paths that are ONLY for golf carts, others that are ONLY for cars, and others that are ONLY for bikes, carts, people, and ONLY for people and bikes but not carts, etc. etc. - I need to know ALL of these types of things. Those directions above would be absolutely useless if I'm in a golf cart, because in order to get to the end of Smith Street I'd have to go through a golf cart tunnel and the only way to get to that is to take a left out of my driveway, and around the corner.

Google maps has this, for cars, bikes, foot traffic, bus, and train. But it doesn't have one for golf carts, and Google maps doesn't include an entire section of Orange Blossom Hills (Paradise to W. Schwartz and that whole circle up there).