View Single Post

Old 02-23-2019, 06:55 PM

I commend the OP for wanting to rescue any pet and provide them with a loving home. That said, however, the post clearly states that they are aware of the 2 pet restriction but are possibly considering ignoring it. Many replies have given creative suggestions on how to beat the system while others have correctly stated that although you may never be caught it is still in violation of your restrictive covenants. In this instance the issue is pets, although it could be about numerous other issues covered by this document. Obviously, the developers do not have an anti pet attitude but they have certainly learned a thing or two over the years about people's tendencies to carry things a little too far if given enough leave way. Attitudes on this subject will vary from one pet is too many all the way up to "the more the merrier".

Every day as I ride around our beautiful community I see violation after violation. Do I report the offenders? Not yet, however, if the violation is severe enough where I feel that it will threaten the value of my property I would absolutely file a complaint. Most people think it is silly to have a restriction that says property owner's cannot have lawn ornaments and think their tastes should be acceptable to everyone. Have you ever driven through the mountains and seen sculpture's made from large logs. Although the artists who make these items are highly talented I do not want a family of wooden bears in my neighbors front yard.

The majority of property owners in our community drive automobiles. Each time we get behind the wheel and start down the road we are aware(hopefully) of the speed limit. Although there may be times that we make a conscious decision to drive over the speed limit we are or should be aware of the consequences of getting caught. Pleading ignorance of the law may get you a warning but most likely you will face a fine. Every property owner is or should be aware of the Restrictive Covenants and Restrictions which are legally tied to each property address. The process to identify violations, notifications, processes and even legal remedies are clearly spelled out for each District. Normally the process starts with a complaint, 2 or 3 notices to property owner and ultimately if not remedied, fines starting at $50.00 plus $25.00 per day (potentially $500.00 per day for repeat offenders) until the violation is resolved. Unpaid fines can be levied against the property in the form of a lien including possibly legal fees or other expenses (depending on the nature of the complaint).

Given the facts and knowing that anyone violating any of the restrictions would be subject to potential fines I cannot understand why you would knowingly proceed. The restrictions and covenants are for everyone's protection. Typically the first thing the violators say when they are caught is why me? My typical response is Why Not?