View Single Post

Old 02-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Excellent advice! Also just as an extra precaution: be VERY careful when saying "yes" to ANYTHING on the phone, if you weren't expecting that phone call or don't know exactly who you're talking to. In some situations, your verbal "yes" will be recorded and added to something completely unrelated, and you will have inadvertently agreed to something you never would have agreed to. And they have you saying "yes" to that thing. It is a fairly common scam.

When someone says "is this Jazuela?" I don't automatically say yes. I say "who's calling?" Often, they hang up right then. When that happens I know I just saved myself several thousand dollars in fraudulent purchases in my name.
This "YES" recording scam sounds a little far fetched to me. Why wouldn't the scammer just fake your voice? Is a bank or other vender going to scientifically analyze your voice to determine who actually said "YES" to order something, and make you pay for something you didn't order? Couldn't they figure out that the recording is bogus? I'm skeptical.