View Single Post

Old 02-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This "YES" recording scam sounds a little far fetched to me. Why wouldn't the scammer just fake your voice? Is a bank or other vender going to scientifically analyze your voice to determine who actually said "YES" to order something, and make you pay for something you didn't order? Couldn't they figure out that the recording is bogus? I'm skeptical.
They have proof that they called YOU, and that YOU answered a question "yes." You can look this stuff up, no need to believe me personally. I'm just putting it out there. There was a whole thing about this in one of the AARP bulletins last year, I believe. And there was a police alert somewhere in my state that I saw in the local weekly newspaper about it as well.

From that ABC news article:
Quote:
"The caller then records the consumer's 'Yes' response and thus obtains a voice signature. This signature can later be used by the scammers to pretend to be the consumer and authorize fraudulent charges via telephone," an FCC news release said.
if you go to the actual FCC.gov website you'll find the ACTUAL alert here: FCC Warns of 'Can You Hear Me' Phone Scams | Federal Communications Commission - and it's dated 2017. So not only is it a "thing," it's been a "thing" for over a year now.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 02-26-2019 at 04:30 PM.