View Single Post

Old 03-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
There is a lock company in the area, I think it's called the Castle or something like that. Offhand, I don't know the make of ours, but you can set 22 different combo's of numbers, add and delete as needed. Talk to them and let them guide you. Lowes and H.D. have several different brands, but this is not really a DIY project. They also have a long kickplate for where the dead bolt goes. Anyone trying to kick the door in will probably break an ankle or leg, it's that strong. Talk to them, you'll be glad you did.
Kwikset and Schlage, among others, have several models to choose from, and they absolute are a DIY project. I installed one on the door leading from the garage to the laundry room, and it couldn't have been easier. I chose the model with the key, in case there was an issue with the batteries controlling the touch pad. In addition, lock manufacturers have made it extremely easy to rekey a new lock to your existing keys. This used to involve a trip to Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Not any longer though, as a homeowner can do it.