View Single Post

Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I need some advice on my landscape. I had pine straw when I bought my home 8 years ago and continued to have it applied for a few years. Now I have had mulch/wood chips for many years but I have noticed that more and more landscapes have rocks...what do you have and or what is your experience with some of these products. I have a low landscape wall and when I have my home power washed I also have the wall done as mold grows on it. Wondering if the rocks get moldy too.
First of all realize that people in general will declare what they have chosen is the right choice-human nature.

So I declare that we have pine straw.

People who have rocks, probably gravel or river pebbles is a truer description, have or should have the rocks laid down on landscape fabric. Sooner or later you will have weeds and/or grass push through. You then need to pull each weed by hand a tedious job. Also, if you choose to have different areas with different rock types, you need to put them back into place if, they are disturbed-again by hand.

Either pine straw or wood chips do decompose so you need to add more on a regular basis. We have a 5000 sq foot lawn. I find that I use about 4-5 bales of pine straw a year for replacements. Cost is just about 4.00 a bale so $20.00 per year. As we do not have landscaped fabric underneath, weeding is fairly easy using long handled tools such as a hoe.
I have used products such as Preen. It does work but does not prevent all weeds so you still need to do some weeding. Aside-products such as Preen kill weed seeds. Your grass, St Augustine or Empire Zoyzia spreads by runners so Preen will not control it spreading into your planting beds.