View Single Post

Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Different counties have different rules. They can change, even if you talk to someone who was well versed in their county rules when they enclosed. So call your county. (Marion is especially strict, but all have strict rules).

It is important to go with high quality windows - triple glazed to keep out heat from the sun - you will not be able to add air-conditioning to your lanai without either high cost, or increasing your taxes, or both. On the other hand, its possible a very large lanai will need air. (Mine is only about 100 square feet). Your contractor can advise you. My heat and air bills barely changed when I opened up this area (sliding doors stay open at all times).

I used Chill Outback and was thrilled with the work and service. The price was great for the very good quality I got. The Chill Outback design person (no extra charge) planned some very beautiful windows, and not the typical 3-4 foot wide windows you see on most lanais. I have a nice pond behind my home and want to enjoy the view. But if you do not want picture windows, they can do the standard width for a lower price. They cater to what you want.

Why enclose? I find outdoor temperatures unpleasant at least 9 months of the year (too hot, too cold) and I want to enjoy the lovely space with lots of light from windows year-round. I have a patio and can put of screens, etc. if I ever want to (but I do not). Also, dirt comes through the screens, so there is constant cleaning of the "screened-in porch" (old Florida term for this room when I grew up here).