View Single Post

Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

The different counties have different rules for what constitutes a taxable area. That said, I have had two homes here and have enclosed both lanais. I have just finished enclosing this one and it is fantastic. I used simple sliding windows completely around it, with a hip wall. A full glass door allows access to the outside patio. I added electrical receptacles under the windows to allow for more access to electric power. I covered the floor and walls to make it appear as an interior room. I also installed a split AC unit for climate control. My wife can use it as a place where the neighborhood ladies can play cards. I use it every morning to enjoy the climate controlled area to view our landscaping and plan modifications or additions to the rear garden. I also like to sit out there and read. On cool mornings I open the windows to allow cool, fresh air inside. Some folks use the area for hobbies, such as painting. It is a nice retreat for a bit of privacy if the spouse is watching a TV program that you are not interested in, or visa versa.
Some counties say that if you use glass windows, you have to pay taxes on the space and if you use plastic you don't. Some say that if you have climate control you have to pay. I raised my floor in my other home and was told I was OK as long as I did not remove the slider door to the bedroom. Like someone else said, it is best to get the latest ruling on what constitutes a taxable area. I understand that the criteria has changed recently in Sumter county.