View Single Post

Old 03-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Default New Phone SCAM and Solutions from Microsoft

I was contacted by the Microsoft Support phone number today (800-642-7676). This is the legitimate Microsoft Support phone number. The phone actually showed it as Microsoft. When I answered the call I expected it was about an Office 365 case we were working with them. It was not. It was a recording stating that I should not use my computer for accessing on-line banking and to speak to Microsoft support by either pressing 9 or by calling their number back. I hung the phone up, but because it was the actual correct phone number I did call the Microsoft Support phone number and spoke to a real support person. They told me that Microsoft never makes calls to customers unless the customer has contacted them first and is waiting for a call back. That is the reason it sounded like it could have be a real support call from them.

This Scam is at a new high by using a real companies legitimate phone number to spoof citizens. The things to understand are:

True support companies both software or hardware will never contact you directly via phone.
It is a SCAM, If you get a call from a major company telling you that your computer is giving out error messages or is infected or has been hacked
Always hang the phone up.
Never press a number to contact their support
If you are actually speaking to a person, never give them ANY information, just hang the phone up.
Never call back a number they give you Unless you know that is the companies' real phone number. In the above case it was their real phone number.

The following is information from Microsoft about how to protect your self and your computer from SCAMS

- Check suspicious apps recently installed in control panel.
- Run "Reliability Monitor".
- Disable Startup programs using Task Manager.
- Apply a clean boot. Restart the PC.
- Clear browsing data in: Internet Explorer, Chrome, MS Edge.
- Run a quick/full virus scan.

- View these URLs for Staying safe from call scams:

Windows Community | Connect with Windows Engineers
- Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub:

Access Denied
- Staying safe from caller ID spoofing:

Staying safe from caller ID spoofing | Windows Community

Staying safe from caller ID spoofing | Windows Community
community.windows.com
Caller ID on your phone helps you see who's calling. But scammers have learned how to trick caller ID. A tactic called "spoofing" makes it look like a real call from a trusted company. Windows engineer Erik Wahlstrom shows how to tell if a call might be spoofed and what you should do if you're getting such a call (subtitles available in 26 languages).

If you have already been the victim of a scam

1. Use the report-a-scam link to make sure the incident has been reported to Microsoft.

2. Read how to remove difficult malware.

3. You can also download Microsoft Safety Scanner to check for possible risks.

To protect yourself from future scams

1. Remember Microsoft and its partners will never contact you to ask you to pay for a PC fix. Additionally, we won't send unsolicited emails requesting personal or financial information.

2. If someone claims to be affiliated with or from Microsoft:

· Ask if there is a fee or subscription associated with the "service".

· Refuse to purchase any software or services.

· Refuse to provide your credit card or financial information unless you initiated the contact.

· Never give control of your PC to another party unless you can confirm it's Microsoft.

· Continue to report all interactions here.

what they mean by here is the Microsoft Support area.