Thread: Cut the Cord
View Single Post

Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage

Why do you have a requirement for 150 megabits per second? 1080p streaming uses about 5 megabits per second of bandwidth. 4k streaming uses about 20 megabits per second of bandwidth. Compared with a lower bandwidth, say 40 megabits per second, web pages with extensive graphics may load slightly, perhaps imperceptibly, faster. When we first moved here 5 years ago, we started out with 10 megabits per second (download) and had no issues streaming 1080p to two sets simultaneously. We now have 80 megabits per second (download) because it hits a sweet spot in the CenturyLink pricing structure (one price for life for $45 total per month). It is way more bandwidth than we can use. I suspect most people overpay for more bandwidth than they could ever use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
So I took a look at Centurylink, DirectTV, and xfinity. With the criteria: MINIMUM 150mbps internet speed, TV lineup must include golf channel and all network stations, and voice phone service.

Turns out if I "cut the cord" and get DirectTV, then add internet and voice elsewhere (since DirectTV doesn't offer either of them), I'll be paying more than I would for the xfinity triple-play service in the Villages. Here in Connecticut this service is over $200 after fees and taxes. Down in the villages it'll be $139.99 plus fees and taxes, so likely around $165 after all is said and done. That's for TV, internet, and voice combined.

Last edited by biker1; 03-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.