View Single Post

Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Default A wise reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
What the OP boils down to is this:
Someone brought their dog to the front door of other dog-owners, without first checking to make sure if that was a good or bad idea. Turns out, it was a bad idea. It's very likely (almost completely likely) that the pit owners would have told the person "oh - hm. Please leave your dog at home, mine are very territorial and will agressively protect their turf until they've had a chance to meet yours on neutral territory first."

Never EVER EVER bring your animal, of any kind, onto the property of another animal, of any kind, without first ensuring that the interaction will be politely received.
As a dog owner it is your responsibility to train your dog but also to be aware of it's issues.

The op reminds me of a dog we had as kids. It was a mix of a boarder collie, they were very rare at the time and a German Shepherd. It was a smart, fairly large dog. It was great around kids, dogs etc a great dog. Except, perhaps due to abuse, the dog would respond to black people and become vicious.

Many pure bred dogs that were used for aggressive purpose have had the aggression bred out of them and are now docile pets. Classic examples the mastiff-formerly a war dog. In roman times there was a battle where the troops retreated and the roman mastiffs won the battle. Today, every mastiff, I've met is an overgrown lap dog. English bull dog is another common example.

Far as pit bulls I, through business, knew a guy that bred aggressive pit bulls and I'm certain he is not the only one.
Sadly he and others like him are the reason why you pay extra and may not even be able to get insurance if you CHOOSE to own a pit bull same is true of a Rottweiler.

MY POINT-as a dog owner it is your duty to know and to control your dog. You are and you should be liable for any damages your animal causes.