View Single Post

Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
As a dog owner it is your responsibility to train your dog but also to be aware of it's issues.

The op reminds me of a dog we had as kids. It was a mix of a boarder collie, they were very rare at the time and a German Shepherd. It was a smart, fairly large dog. It was great around kids, dogs etc a great dog. Except, perhaps due to abuse, the dog would respond to black people and become vicious.

Many pure bred dogs that were used for aggressive purpose have had the aggression bred out of them and are now docile pets. Classic examples the mastiff-formerly a war dog. In roman times there was a battle where the troops retreated and the roman mastiffs won the battle. Today, every mastiff, I've met is an overgrown lap dog. English bull dog is another common example.

Far as pit bulls I, through business, knew a guy that bred aggressive pit bulls and I'm certain he is not the only one.
Sadly he and others like him are the reason why you pay extra and may not even be able to get insurance if you CHOOSE to own a pit bull same is true of a Rottweiler.

MY POINT-as a dog owner it is your duty to know and to control your dog. You are and you should be liable for any damages your animal causes.
Someone brings their dog to YOUR house, without first asking YOU, then that person accepts the risk. Your pitbulls in your house protecting their own property from an unfamiliar animal should not be liable. The person who brought their dog onto your property, to your front door, without first warning you that he had a dog there - was in the wrong. THAT dog owner should be liable for any damages to your pitbulls, and your door, and your stoop, and your person, and any other part of your property caused by that dog owner not bothering to mention that they were bringing a dog to your house and just showing up with it.