View Single Post

Old 03-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Judge Judy has many, many, cases that involve dogs on her show and the law is the same almost everywhere, that you are liable for your animal and it needs to be leashed when in public. Recently she, who is a dog lover, has been saying that Pitt Bulls are dangerous and unpredictable.

I won't mention names either but one of the sweetest and most fair posters on this site, who loves animals dearly, once said that Pitt Bulls (Staffordshire Terriers) had a different bite mechanism and behavior from most other dogs in that when the bite they clamped down and hurt by shaking the other animal. I am a dog lover but what I have heard and read and the fact that actuaries give them a greater risk makes me wary of them. I think some dogs shouldn't be bred.

And some humans too.
1. Judge Judy...seriously?
2. The context of this thread is not about a dog not being leashed in public. It's about a dog on a leash, being led to private property, where two dogs legally reside within the dwelling on that private property. The leashed dog, who was a visitor, uninvited, was attacked on private property by the dogs that have legal residence on that property.

In the OP, there is no mention that the dogs ever left private property, with or without a leash.

3. The "lockjaw" mechanism of pitbulls is an urban legend. It is not true. In addition, the biting and shaking behavior is common for all species of dog, it's not specific to pits, or even specific to guard dogs, or trained dogs, or agressive dogs. You can even buy tug-o-war toys in all pet stores to accommodate play with this behavior. The toys are sized for all types and varieties of dogs, from miniature chihuahuas to Cane Corsos and everything inbetween.

4. Pit bulls (one t - unless you're referring to Brad) are not only Staffordshire Terriors. Pit bull is a category that includes four different breeds of terrior/bull mixes, with a fifth considered by some dog fanciers. According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.[2][3] The American Bulldog is also sometimes included.[4]
Most of this stuff you can easily find with a google search.