View Single Post

Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Except this has nothing to do with the law. It has to do with journalistic integrity.

In my above example, the news reported something that really did actually happen. Senator Jimbob really did state that he won by 4 million votes. They have it on video, the video is datemarked and timestamped, and it was reported live, in front of millions of witnesses. The statement made by Jimbob really did happen exactly as it was reported. The report itself - is a truthful report.

But the report's topic was about a lie. The fact that he lied is the topic. So it was a truthful accounting of a lie. The report wasn't a lie. And the topic wasn't true.
OK. I get that.

"Truth" is one of those words that drive philosophers nuts.

I write a lot of journalists on Facebook and they are very prone to mistakes especially on live broadcasts. Some make fun of themselves. Especially to their Facebook fan bases.

There are "journalists" who seem more like Howard Stern type loudmouths even if I often like Stern's rants he just throws out stuff to shock listeners or watchers to bump up his ratings.