View Single Post

Old 03-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Some of us who have been around for more than 15 years have seen the deterioration.
We have had weather issues over the years....golf courses did not look like they do today.
We have had busy and busier seasons in recent years.....take a look at some public courses here or back home....heavy seasonal play....well maintained approaches and greens.

We are not complaining about having the course be comparable to private, high(er) greens fee clubs. We are comparing today with what used to be.

There is absolutely no doubt the courses are much, MUCH worse than previous years. Little or no doubt about the falling off of the amount and quality of maintenance.
As billethkid points out, people who have been here for years have noticed a significant decline in the course quality over time. I have only been frequenting the courses for 5 years and have never seen conditions as bad as this year (executive courses), not just within the Villages, but anywhere. The problem for me is the greens. Other poor conditions on executive courses don't matter much. Since you are hitting off T,s, T box conditions are more for looks. If sand traps are not raked we simply rake and place our balls. But you can not compensate for poor greens.

On a positive note, the new greens at Tierra Del Sol are beautiful. If this new hybrid grass technology can eventually be put into all greens throughout the Villages golf courses, things will improve dramatically. That will take years, but be well worth the effort and expense in my opinion. I guess tIme will tell.