View Single Post

Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

(1) I have never been to a salon where they would not tell me what it would cost up front. If you know what something will cost and you choose to proceed, how are you being ripped off?

(2) We lived at the Jersey Shore for several years before moving to the Philly area for several more. I loved my Shore hair person so much that I continued to go back there every four weeks for 10 years -- a two hour drive each way. She charged about $65 for a cut and color. (She may have charged new people more, I don't know.) I didn't go there because it was less expensive that Philly area salons (although it was -- in Philly I paid about $120 for the same services) but because I loved her and I loved what she did with my hair. Every time I went somewhere else (which I only did when she was unavailable for some reason) I left dissatisfied.

Since moving to TV in November I went to a certain salon three times. I wanted to give this person a fair chance, as I know it sometimes takes a while to get to know someone's hair. By the third time, though, I knew I had to find someone else. I saw a post the other day where two people recommended a stylist at Hair Cuttery in Mulberry Grove and decided to give her a try. She did a great job "fixing" the lousy haircut I got 2 weeks ago and I will be returning in a few weeks for another trim and to get my color back the way I like it. The haircut was ~ $25 and the color will be $50-something, most likely. I don't consider that unreasonable. I could obviously save some money if I were willing to let my hair go grey but I'm not. My sister has lovely white hair but I got the "mousy dirty grey" hair gene. Ugh.

(3) When I was 18 to 20 or so my friend and I used to wear wigs sometimes. Back then I would sometimes get home ~ 3 a.m. and have to be up at 5:30 to catch the train to work. Who had time to deal with hair at that hour! I imagine wigs, like most things, have come a long way since 1970. Where do you buy them? What do they cost? Enquiring minds want to know!

kathy