View Single Post

Old 04-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I have had a lot of discussions about this with friends. I used to be an Assisted Living Administrator so know the business well. I think the cruise idea has a lot of value if you are healthy, have great mobility, do not need care of any kind, can afford the extras like laundry, like to be moving on the water all the time, do not want visitors too often, do not need medication management, physical therapy, support with any of the functions of daily living, don't need care if you get sick and someone to help you to washroom, etc. The entertainment, food, alcohol, pools, fitness, new and diverse people are all great on a cruise ship. If you are in need of Assisted Living, you may need more than a cruise ship can offer day to day. It is an interesting discussion. Financially, a cruise ship can be half the price of Assisted Living. You could use the other half of the money to hire help to be on the ship with you. But stay relatively healthy or you could end up in an obscure location needing a serious procedure.
The average cost for assisted living is $3,700 per month. Are you saying that I can live on a cruise ship for $1,850 per month? Can you provide an example? Thanks. Most people I know spend more than that for a 7 day cruise.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.