View Single Post

Old 04-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Do you honestly believe that the only thing to hit the floor are empty shells? I would hazard a guess that there are still plenty of peanuts to be found amongst those empty shells. And rodents love peanuts. Heck I use peanut butter for the traps in my shop because it works so well.

I agree that peanut shells by themselves aren't a problem. But you can't guarantee 100% emptiness hitting the floor. And rodents will investigate just the smell itself. Once they do they will look in other places for a food source within the restaurant.
That's a fair point, but rodents aren't really a problem in most restaurants I know of personally, that allow customers to toss peanut shells on the floor. 5 Guys is one in particular. During a given lunch rush (a span of around 3 hours) up north, they might have time to sweep once. They have an A rating from the local health department (our health department requires restaurant rating page to be prominently posted). There are 3 5 guys in different directions, all within driving distance of me. I've been to all three of them, and none of them have had a rodent problem. During lunch rush and dinner rush, there are always peanut shells on the floor.

Texas Roadhouse near Spanish Springs (edited because I got the location wrong, only went there once) has peanut shells on the floor too and I don't recall them having any problems with rodents, or health department reports against them.

So it isn't peanut shells. It's lack of consistent (not constant) cleanup. The floors don't need to always be spotless. They do need to be spot-cleaned as needed, swept between shifts and meal rushes, and mopped/vacuumed at the end of every day. If they're not doing that, the fault isn't in the fact that they allow people to toss peanut shells on the floor. It's a red herring that just distracts from the main issues.