View Single Post

Old 04-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I am still looking... but I feel I must chime in here again: “quality” is a very subjective term. I won’t go into all the ins and outs of that, but I think we can agree that what some think is quality, others may not agree. I think what we are really talking about in that respect is finishes that one may expect to have (counter top materials, appliance appearance, flooring type, updated fixtures, etc.) in the home we intend to buy. This looking (like us) should put a value on these. That value should be based on the cost to install our “quality” ( i.e. the cost to install the counter top materials we want should the home not have it, the cost to install the flooring we want if the house does not have it, etc.).

The things that one can not change include: the location, a panaramic view, house orientation, etc.. These things are not changeable and should be show stoppers if they dont meet our (the buyer) needs /desires.

I know this is all very logical and a home purchase should be logical and not emotional, however I bet that far more than 50% of home purchases are emotional.... use my guess.

Ok, I am done... please feel free to comment on my opinion... that is why this forum is here.

Cheers, Tom
I think you make very good points. I also think it depends on the personality of the home buyer. Ours (well, mine, to be exact) have always come down to emotional attachment. We have built, bought old and renovated, bought used, and designed total interiors from a blank three-story space with four walls. In the end, it all came down to Did it catch our eye when we walked in.

Neither one of us is an engineer nor a mathematician. We never made a spreadsheet. One of us is more practical than the other (guess which one). But we both either loved a place on sight or didn't, and that was the deciding factor.

Our two best purchases (current one here, one to be renovated in the '80s) had nothing in common. We knew the area we wanted, and they just spoke to us. One needed a ton of work; the other needed almost nothing.