View Single Post

Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
The white “stuff” on the greens is sand. The greens on most of the courses I have played recently have been top dressed with a thin layer of sand. The aerification will come through the next six to 8 weeks. The sand is spread and dragged to help create a smooth surface for grass growth.

Apparently several people do not realize that Bermuda grass, which is on all the greens, (and fairways), does NOT grow in the cooler months. As our temperatures warm now, the Bermuda grass comes out of dormancy unevenly. No matter what maintenance does, they can not make Bermuda grass grow in cold/cool temperatures. The warmer the winter months here, the better chance there will be some Bermuda grass growth. Conversely colder temperatures or longer lasting cold spells preclude Bermuda grass growth.

Overseeing with rye grass used to be done on tees and greens, but there are some problems with that especially as the Bermuda comes out of dormancy and the rye grass dies off in the heat of spring. I did some self directed research on the internet of the advantages/disadvantages of overseeding. Interesting reading.

I play mainly championship courses and have found most are fine this time of year considering the grass is dormant. Orange Blossom, Tierra de Sol, Mallory, Cane, Belle Glade, Hacienda Hills all okay. Haven’t played others recently. I seldom play execs in the winter, but recently played Escambia. I thought the greens were fine except for being slow due to the top dressing of sand.
Thank you Bill!
Steve