View Single Post

Old 04-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Platinum member

So I managed to get DH to take me there for late lunch/early dinner today. Poor man, all he wanted today was a Burger Deluxe from IHOP. Against his better judgment, he allowed me to talk him into trying this restaurant. He and I are so different in so many ways. I'd rather try something new that I may not like for the experience and he never wants to depart from "tried and true".

The place has been open for just two weeks. It's relatively small but bright and cheery with huge painted murals of Viet Nam on the walls. The owner (or one of them since the Gourmet site lists a Bryan Hoang as the owner) is a really tiny, petite young woman who introduced herself to us and in her very strong accent said that all the food is made on the premises and reflects what would be eaten in a Vietnamese home. Everything seemed very fresh.

We started with an order each of Fried Rolls and Spring Rolls. The fried rolls were ok to good but in no way resemble Chinese Egg Rolls and they were tiny. We didn't care for the Spring Rolls which were served cool and had vegetables and rice inside. Each order was $3.95.

Next DH had the Beef Noodle Soup (Pho Dac Biat). It was a huge bowl that had rice noodles with slices of beef. It was different from anything we had ever tasted. I tasted the soup and was grateful that I hadn't ordered one for myself. It was Ok but not something I'd ever crave. $15.95

I ordered the Charbroiled pork entre (Bun Thit Nuong). The pork was sliced very thin and looked like it was boiled -- no sign of any charbroiling that I could determine. It was served on top of rice vermicelli with bamboo shoots on top of whole cilantro leaves. Not very spicy (or even tasty for that matter) but a large portion. $10.95

My DH ordered the Soft Pan-Fried chow mein with chicken and vegetables. Once again, the chicken tasted like it was boiled and the dish was relatively bland. The chow mein in no way resembles Chinese Chow Mein. $13.95

He had a soda and I had green tea. $2.25 and $2.45.

I'm satisfied that I never need return since there was nothing that I would want to eat again -- and I love Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Italian, French and Latin cuisines. But nothing that we ordered here really hit me.

There really isn't much more on the menu except each meal listed above had variations such as chicken, beef, pork or seafood. I have a feeling they all taste the same.

DH is still fuming that he didn't get his Hamburger Deluxe and is furious at me for having him spend $55 plus $10 tip on a meal he hated. Oh well, you know what they say if they can't take a joke.

Last edited by BK001; 04-10-2019 at 03:28 PM.