Thread: Amenity fees
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I have been here for 13 years. My amenity fee has gone from $125/month to $155 in that time, an approximate 25% total increase or roughly less than 2% per year while the number and quality of amenities have increased.

For perspective, during that same period my auto insurance has doubled, with no claims.

So, I’m in the camp that says we get great value for our amenity fee. I never expected it to stay the same and am pleased that it has increased at a very reasonable rate.

Gold wing...one thing you said was new to me, if I interpreted it correctly. It sounds as if there are 3 amenity budgets...N of 466, 466 to 44, and below 44, each directed and managed and approved by a separate central CDD. Could this lead to an inconsistent application of amenity fees? For example, one area puts more into executive golf course maintenance while another central district decides to skimp there...thus leading to uneven conditions. I always viewed the amenities as a single entity, usable to all, with a consistent level of funding for maintenance and operation.
Technically you are correct, there are 3 budgets associated with the amenities: the Recreations Amenities Division (RAD) budget that manages the amenities north of CR466, the Sumter Landing Amenities Division (SLAD) budget that manages the amenities between CR466 and SR44, and the developer's operations budget for the amenities south of SR44.

The RAD budget is managed by the AAC and approved by the VCCDD. All budgets and records are available for public review and input.
The SLAD budget is managed by the PWAC and approved by the SLCDD. All budgets and records are available for public review and input.
The developer's budget for amenities south of SR44 is a private business and not subject to public disclosure. They own the amenities and operate them as a part of their overall business.

While it is possible that there could be different levels of care and maintenance to the facilities in these three areas, it is currently not an issue. It could become an issue if the ability to fund the maintenance and operation of the amenities is jeopardized. This is one of the reasons that the Deferral Rate is being eliminated and we are going back to the contract terms we all agreed to when we purchase our homes. There are also continued extraordinary efforts by the District Staff and the various departments on finding cost savings, economies, and improved operating strategies to help fill any budget gaps.

A key to maintaining consistency throughout The Villages is the use of a single District Staff by all areas to develop the contracts and scope of services as well as having one managing entity for all. There is only one Recreation Department that oversees all three areas.

Part of what prevents different levels of service are the existing inter-local agreements between the three entities that mandates equal treatment and availability of amenities for all residents regardless of where they live in The Villages. Another key factor that drives maintaining the level of service and condition of the amenities is the bonds that have been issued to purchase them, any reduction or degradation of service or maintenance that would impact the value of the amenities will impact the value of the bonds. This is not something we want to or could afford.

The governing bodies strive hard to maintain a consistent level of service and quality across all of The Villages, and for the average Villages one or three budgets, it goes unnoticed.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Last edited by Goldwingnut; 04-17-2019 at 09:25 PM.